Baby Beer?

Have you heard the old wives tale about baby's juice being carbonated and possibly getting Baby drunk?

     I don't know about you, but I never really thought my son's apple juice filled sippy cup could possibly "get him drunk."  Until about a week ago we have always bought bottled apple juice to make his cereal and put in his sippy cup.  However I just got some frozen concentrate and made it then stored it in cleaned juice bottles.  I decided to do this when I realized just how much we could be saving by using frozen concentrate.
     Never before has his juice gotten carbonated, but a mere 2 days after making the juice from concentrate I found the two bottles ready to pop in the refrigerator.  The first time while making his cereal I didn't think much of it, but before giving it to him I decided to taste it to see what was different.  They juice tasted gross and tangy, which is just wrong for apple juice.  A little wasted cereal is much better than giving Grayson something that could be bad for him.

Not sure if you can see, but the handles and the bottom of the jug are popped out and misshapen.

The bubbly as I poured it out...ewwwww.

I'm guessing that's the build-up of yeast on the bottom.

     The results of my research:  It's hard to believe but that old wives tale may actually have some truth to it.  I don't know how you could figure the amount of alcohol is in the juice, but whatever the amount it isn't good for your baby.  I found out that using water from your house (even if filtered) can cause the juice to ferment much faster than regular bottled juice.  Some people add yeast to juices to make them ferment more quickly, but often if left long enough they will ferment on their own.  So if you're going to drink the juice very quickly then juice concentrate is great.  Also, storing your juices in the refrigerator is necessary.

Lesson learned:  the little bit of extra $$$ that it costs to buy bottled juice is worth it.


Comments

Ann said…
Yep, you made apple wine! I've done that, too....not on purpose either. It's yucky tasting.
Momma Hoot said…
hahaha, so glad I'm not alone!

Popular Posts