Freezing Peaches

      I grew up in Texas, and before moving to Utah had never even heard of people canning/freezing fruits and veggies for the winter.  Obviously I knew people did this, but I thought that was limited to people who lived outside city limits, and on farms...little did I know I would be one of them.  I live in a perfectly civilized area, and now I'm one of those crazies who's freezing food for the winter.
     I found out that fresh produce can be very expensive here during the winter months, and I can only guess that it won't be to terribly fresh.  Having a little one in the house I decided that having healthy fruits and veggies around the house was a priority.  So this is the start of my endeavors...
I just couldn't resist
     We drove around "Utah's Famous Fruitway" to find out which items are in season, and looked fresh.  We drove quite a ways, and I walked in with my dorky notepad to write down prices, while Derek kept a watchful eye on Grayson who slept in the back seat.  Since it was our first time out, I had no idea what a good price was, but we did notice that it was significantly cheaper than our local Farmer's Markets.  I'll admit, I got a couple funny glances from those who noticed what I was doing, and I felt pretty silly, but I got the cheapest peaches available!  They ranged from $15 to $30 per 1/2 bushel (also a large basket).  So who's laughing now... I was so glad I didn't buy them from the first stand we went to!!!


     After arriving home Derek and I tackled the mound of peaches, washed all the peaches and made this mountain of them in the sink.

     Next we attempted a few ways of peeling them, and decided the easiest was to simply use a peeler without blanching them or anything.  Then you cut them into slices, and soak in a mixture of water and Vitamin C (we used 4 cups water, 3 Tbs lemon juice, and 2 Vitamin C pills).  Next place into small baggies with a little orange juice and seal with as little air as possible.  Then place these small non-freezer baggies into a gallon size freezer bag.  Don't worry, I will be reusing!


     8 whole peaches made for one lonely bag in our freezer...




     Garden Web was a very helpful site, also an article from ehow.com.  It will take me a few days to complete this project, but I'm very happy knowing that Grayson will enjoy delicious, fresh and local peaches through the winter.  By the way...he totally loves them!

Comments

Popular Posts