Alpini Festival

     This weekend is the annual Alpini Festival (I'm probably making up that name...just bear with me).  So the Alpini is made up of Italian military, and retired military.  They are loved in all of the towns because when they have floods, fires, etc. the Alpini are somewhat like first responders.  They are always the first to help in those situations, and are hugely celebrated.
     This wasn't a big trip exactly, but it sure was fun.  We drove with some friends down to a nearby town, and then took the train into a bigger city.  This sounds super easy and all, but it is quite the ordeal with two littles in tow.  Ordering train tickets isn't as easy as it sounds either.  Try asking if the kiddos need a ticket...in Italian.  We did however have a fun trip, and all the people always fawn over the kids.  They are super sweet, and talk to the kids (and put Alpini hats on them).

The boys enjoyed their first train ride.

It was held in Pordenone for the first time ever, and was obviously a big deal,
as we were packed into the town streets.

     Walking through these busy streets I had my first experience with a super pushy salesman.  He was selling bracelets, and told me "free", then grabbed my wrist and tied it on (all while I was walking away) then proceeded to ask for money.  Apparently I need to be more aggressive myself!
     Nearly every booth sells wine and beer, and no wine is not cheaper than water (I wish!!!)

These are our friends Sam and Eddie, and their son Dylan that we knew from Utah.
And don't worry, those are not both Sam's beers, lol.

And here's us.

Here is a video of some Alpini men serenading us in the streets. It was pretty awesome!

We walked around the festival for nearly 4 hours before heading back to catch the train.  The boys were all exhausted, and so were the adults.  It was only 79 degrees but I was so stinking hot.  So when we finally got in the car and headed for home, we decided it was the perfect time to stop for some gelato.

That's right, only two...

because the boys were both passed out!

     And a quick note to our mothers.  Thank you for always being there for us!  We have so many wonderful women in our lives, and so many who we are missing this Mother's Day.  Special shout out to my mom:  I so appreciate all the life lessons you have taught me, and the fun we have when we're together.  Missing you from Italy, wish you were here, and can't wait till you are!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks Sweetie! Missing you and that super sweet family of yours!

Popular Posts