America Was Great and All...But

I will totally post all about our adventures in America...domani.

First, I just have to dote on my friends that are family here in bella Italia!  Our trip home and the months leading up to it were crazy stressful, quite a roller-coaster.  We came home last Wednesday, and something amazing happened...we were missed.

That sounds ridiculous but seriously our previous base was so disconnected, and the people all detached.  When we first moved to Hill I guess I was still in a "Texan mentality" where I thought everyone greeted their neighbors, and said "hello," just to be friendly.  My rude awakening came when hubs and I had to go to the old neighbors to introduce ourselves, which felt all too awkward.  Then when we did go to meet any new neighbors who moved in and took cookies or what have you, we got an odd look from them.  Sometimes a smile too, but always an odd look, almost to say, "who does that?"

All that to say that Italy is different.  We came home and a great friend (who kept Lola, and drove us to and fro) had filled our fridge with groceries so I wouldn't have to go shopping that day.  Ummm...amazing!  I have never thought to do that for a friend (mental note-it's so helpful)!

Now today, another friend brought over dinner and another meal to cook up later, with a fruit and veggie tray and brownies to top it off.

So while I miss my family and friends in good 'ol USA, I also just broke down and cried.  We finally have a good, solid community!  Military families always come and go, and it's difficult to say so many goodbyes, but I am so blessed to be surrounded by amazing men and women who selflessly serve in so many different ways.

Comments

Debbie K said…
So sweet and thoughtful of those precious friends!!! It warms my heart to know that you guys are being loved and doted on so far away from your own family and friends. My hat also goes off to you and all the other spouses of our military - you have so much to deal with on your own while they are off protecting our freedom. I am also truly amazed at your courage to travel home from Italy on your own with 2 small boys, but I'm so glad you did!!! My hat goes off to you, dear Tara. I love you all dearly and we were all blessed to see you again. Love y'all bunches!!!!

Popular Posts