Making Green Beans

     Yesterday was baby food making day.  I spent about an hour or two making green beans yesterday afternoon.  The whole time I spent preparing and trimming the green beans I thought back to a conversation I had recently with my dad.  He told me about when he was a kid they used to eat "snap beans."  He explained that was what they called the beans because as they trimmed the beans they made a snapping noise.  I have made green beans multiple times and I guess this time the beans weren't as young, they were bigger this time.  Every bean that I trimmed made a snapping noise!  I had dismissed his "snap beans" as being some old farm food.  I couldn't believe that I found modern day snap beans, haha (no offense dad!)



     Step 1:  snap off the end of the green beans and pull off the thick string along the seam (sometimes they are the full length of the green bean, and this part is very coarse and doesn't blend up well)

     Step 2:  cut the stem ends of the beans

     Step 3:  cover beans with water and cook until completely tender (20+ minutes on a gas stove over medium heat)


     After cooking the and draining the beans I cook them in my food processor.  I have a baby food processor which I also use, but I have found that it isn't able to keep up with how much I make at a time.  Doing the foods in several batches takes a long time, and the small appliance overheats a little.  So I've found that it's just easier for me to use the full size (and very loud) food processor.
     It's so loud in fact that Derek keeps Grayson upstairs and I have to plug my ears while blending the foods. However it's totally worth it to not have to do five or more small batches.

Comments

Popular Posts