The Test

     Right now we are in the middle of convincing Grayson that Mommy and Daddy really do know best.  Everything, each decision...all of it is a fight.  I know that this time passes, and he will realize that we are just taking care of him, but I didn't expect it to drag on like this.  The only redeeming moment I can pin-point is that split second after putting him in time-out for the 27th time.  I can't explain it, but the calm of that moment is simply amazing.  After a day of battling over drinking grape juice vs. apple juice (neither being a good solution), and needing a sound proof room to scream in...that silent moment where he stops screaming and fighting and finally says, "mommy talk to me?"  It is somehow more rewarding than a day of good behavior.  Don't get me wrong, it's miserable getting to that place, but it's such a relief and makes me realize that maybe just maybe we are doing something right.

     I just hope that every once in awhile I can get these reminders, and not be too blinded by the circumstances that lead up to them.  As a parent it would be so much easier to turn on the television, or pacify him with whatever it is he wants.  However, pushing through is a defining moment and strengthens your child's trust in you.  I just love my son, and today I remembered that a little more!

Comments

Ann said…
Tara, you have always been wise beyond your years!

Popular Posts